Thursday, September 11, 2008

so where were you?

7 years ago today.. even though its so difficult to remember, we MUST remember and not let it happen again.

when the first plane hit, i was on my way to work. i had no clue it had even happened. my work had pulled a TV into the lobby and i saw the second plane hit as i entered the building.

i was working for TWA (Trans World Airlines) who had recently been purchased by American Airlines - you know - flights 11 and 77.

incredibly tragic. so so so SO tragic. i hope the victim's families are dealing with this. i cannot even fathom what they are going through.

it's just so sad.

3 thoughts:

Leslie said...

Mike (That'd be DH) was in the Air Force at the time. We lived on base. Taylor (DD) was a month old at the time. We were immediately locked down and if we left the base we (the civilians) weren't allowed back on base without our car being searched by dogs and airmen. Security got really really tight (i.e. each gate guarded by a tank). DH was on call 24/7 and he had his bag packed to be ready to deploy at a moments notice. It was a scary time. Military life was much different following 9-11.

I was working at an insurance agency at the time. We had the TV's on and just watched in shock and horror. Mike called me and told me I had to come home - it took forever for me to get on base (security check). I had to pick up Taylor from the sitter and go home.

I remember that day clearer than I do yesterday. I guess it'll always be one of those where were you days. A lot like the JFK assasination (I wasn't even a thought) and the Challenger exploding (4th grade.

It is such a tragedy and I still grieve for the families and lives that it affected.

Amanda said...

I live on Long Island. I could see and smell the smoke.
My husband and (step)sons are firemen. The boys worked at ground zero for days.

I was at work. I was a manager at Borders, in my town. I had a young clerk who's father was there at work. We were stunned when he arrived later that afternoon. Dusty and dead tired, but alive. The reunion of father and daughter plays like a movie in my mind.

My neighbor across the street got out of #7 and has never been back to the city. He rarely leaves the house.

So many stories.

Me said...

I worked and work in a NYC hospital.
Between surgeries we were watching the morning news then saw everything. The OR shut down and waited for traumas which never came.
We couldn't leave the grounds and I hated being away from my daughter.
My mother, though safe, was not heard from for 5 hours after a frantic disjointed message from her voicemail(she worked at 1 Broadway).
Bad day. Please let us never forget.